In the 1850's, a line of U.S. Calvary posts was built along the southwest border region of the United States to guard the border and protect the transportation routes from hostile Indians. Fort Clark, built in 1852, in the nearby town of Brackettville, still stands. George Patton and Jonathan Wainwright served there. The fort was also used as the headquarters for MacKenzies's raiders, popularized by a television series in recent years. An outpost of Fort Clark was built along San Felipe Springs in 1857, near what is now Moore Park. It was named "Camp Del Rio" in 1881, and existed into the early part of the 20th Century.